Evoke Links to Applications
You may find that the links in this Evoke section do not work for you. This is not critical in that your type of computer probably already has many similar applications on its hard drive. Use them, starting them in whatever manner you normally use to start your programs. However, if you wish to use the links from the CROP site's Evoke section, you can. The instructions are both presented as online movies and printed below.
Online Video Instructions:
- Connect your Netscape program to your desktop applications. This is a more general description of the process.
- Connect your Netscape program to Clarisworks 4.0 applications. This is a specific description working with a particular application.
- To use the on-line video help, you need a computer capable of playing a quicktime movie and the appropriate quicktime movie plug-in for your browser. Mac users can download the ViewMovie file if they need such a plug-in. Once the file has been downloaded to your Mac computer and unstuffed, place it into the "Plug-ins" folder which is located inside your "Netscape" folder. You must Quit and Reopen the Netscape Application for the new plug-in to become effective. Just click on the video help file of your choice and it will automatically appear and play.
There are two conditions that your workstation must meet to be able to use these links:
Once this step is complete, clicking on these links will send a file for the application you click, then launch the application itself and display the file.
- First, you must have the Macintosh applications to which they go, such as Microsoft's Word, or Claris's ClarisWorks.
- Second, you must have set the Helper Applications features in your Browser (e.g., Netscape) to recognize these applications. In Netscape, this means to click on Options in the Netscape menu bar and from the Options commands, select General Preferences, then from this select Helpers. From the Helpers screen, press the New button, then press the Browse button to select the application and its appropriate extension (see below).
Next, set the Action to Launch Application. Fill in the remaining fields. This generally means putting the word application in the Mime field, and the name of the application in the subtype. Consult the online handbooks for your browser or see your computer center for more specific directions on how to complete this procedure.
- For Clarisworks Word Processing, use .cwwp as the file extension.
- For Clarisworks Database, use .cwdb as the file extension.
- For Clarisworks Spreadsheet, use .cwss as the file extension.
- For Clarisworks Draw, use .cwgr as the file extension.
- For Clarisworks Paint, use .cwpt as the file extension.
- For Microsoft's Word, use .doc as the file extension.
- For Microsoft's Excel, use .xls as the file extension.
- For Microsoft's Powerpoint, use .ppt as the file extension.
Putting Internet and application links together on the same page makes for a seamless work environment between your local computer and your global computer (the network).
[Page Top.] [C.R.O.P.] [Up] [College] [University] [Pageauthor Houghton@wcu.edu ]
Evaluate this Web page!
Copyright, Dr. Robert S. Houghton, 1994-96.